Reports to: VP of Operations
Last revised date: 11/15/2018
FSLA Status: Salary – Exempt
The Branch Manager is directly responsible for the delivery of high-quality commercial maintenance services on all branch properties. The Branch Manager is responsible for the leadership of personnel safety, safe operations of all equipment and vehicles, team development, meeting branch financial profitability objectives, and meeting and/or exceeding the overall goals set forth by the clients and the Company. The Branch Manager upholds the company mission/vision and policies and procedures of Greenscape. The Branch Manager is required to operate and make decisions for the Branch in a way that highlights and lives our core values.
The Branch Manager is a member of the Green Team and as such understands and upholds Greenscape Culture through:
- Living the company mission and vision statement, leadership principles, and company core values
- Caring for all people and aiding them in their career path and life journey while with Greenscape
- All safety standards pertaining to job responsibilities in accordance with Greenscape policies
- All company policies and procedures as outlined in the employee handbook and/or other company documents
The examples of functions listed in this job description are representative, but not necessarily exhaustive of any one position in this job classification. Management may assign other functions not listed here if such duties are a logical assignment for the position.
Skill Set and Educational Requirements
- Ability to read and comprehend all financial, operations, and client driven information in English
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume
- Ability to apply concepts of basic geometry.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Be proficient in the use of computer operating systems as well as the following software programs: Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Outlook. Be able to develop, interpret, print and modify these applications as needed. Be able to quickly study and utilize the company’s operating system.
- Leadership and employee development skills including hiring, recruiting, training, professional development, reprimanding, conducting performance plans, terminations, layoffs, etc.
- Understanding of financial statements, budget process, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead, direct and supervise the work of others
- Proven ability to create and sustain a productive team environment and to build consensus
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships, and establish the highest level of integrity with coworkers, subordinates and vendors to coordinate work in order to meet objectives and deadlines
- Excellent ability to manage multiple, concurrent priorities and easily adapt to constantly changing priorities
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written), particularly for obtaining, organizing and conveying technical information to all levels of the organization and to customers
- Demonstrated technical knowledge including but not limited to: plant ID, Turf ID, insect and disease ID and diagnosis, soil test result interpretation, equipment calibration, pruning techniques, pesticide and chemical application
- Demonstrated ability to read landscape and irrigation blue prints for comprehension and implementation
- Demonstrated ability in irrigation system management, equipment operation and basic small engine field repair and troubleshooting
- Demonstrated proactive and positive approach towards customer service and branch employees
- Planning and organizational skills to manage daily activities, coordinate additional personnel and equipment needed as well as work with purchasing on all needed materials
- Must have a high level of motivation, enthusiasm, be a self-starter and perform daily under pressure
- Persistent and organized follow up
- Maintenance of a clear and valid drivers' license, loss of this could include disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment
- Tours market area to identify sales opportunities
- Responsible for 90% or higher renewal rate of maintenance agreements for existing landscape contracts and maintenance. Ensures that CRM’s meet renewal contract timetables
- Ensure that CRM’s diligently pursue enhancements sales for existing contracts and that enhancement sales equaling yearly budget goals are being met on an annual basis
- Provides input in the development of other services to generate revenue
- Demonstrates good care, cleanliness and custody of the assigned vehicle and follows preventative maintenance procedures and inspection procedures as defined by the supervisor.
- Follows, enforces, and communicates procedures for requesting service/repair work from the shop staff.
- For the personal use of vehicles and/or equipment, complies with and communicates with team members the Equipment Borrowing Policy and Procedures.
- Complies with Company policy and government regulation at all times. Communicates changes with Company policy or government regulation with team members and ensures that proposed changes with government regulations are brought to the attention of the appropriate Company managers.
Personnel Management and Development
- Responsible for staffing needs of the branch and participates in recruiting, interviewing, and selection of qualified candidates for the branch and the training of team members who hold this responsibility
- Confirms staffing needs for the branch and submits to HR manager for timely and appropriate staffing
- Responsible for an overall Career Development and Training plan for all branch staff on an ongoing basis by conducting 90-day and regular 1-year performance plans for their staff. Ensures that all performance plans are being done for employees in the branch.
- Monitors the knowledge and skill levels of their staff to identify development and training needs. Develops and trains individual team members on job effectiveness and improvement following the given Company systems
- Seeks out opportunities in the field to coach and train their staff in order for them to see firsthand the desired outcome
- Assists their staff in monitoring work performance of their direct reports on an on-going basis, both with training and crew performance planning
- Works with the managers to set and accomplish training goals for their staff in an effort to meet performance goals.
- Responsible for wage recommendations for their staff to the supervisor
- Manages disciplinary actions of their staff and grievance procedures to resolve issues as quickly as possible in communication with the HR department
- Holds monthly mandatory team meetings to update their staff; trains and provides an open forum for problem-solving.
- Holds their staff accountable to performance plans, company mission/vision and policies, and procedures, as well as living company core values
- Participates with planning and ensures that all required staff attend Company meetings
- Ensures that their staff is in compliance with Greenscape's Dress Code Policy at all times
- Encourages the entire branch team to contribute ideas for the successful operation of the branch
- Presents quality expectations to their staff and holds staff accountable for expected results
- Visits job sites to monitor production standards and quality. Responsible for the training/ performance of quality work and ensures that jobs are maintained to Greenscape quality standards.
- Works with staff to prevent problems from occurring and troubleshoots problems in a timely manner when they do happen
- Ensures that the branch achieves an overall level of 90% or higher for satisfaction on Client Satisfaction Evaluations.
Management of Accounts
- Open communication with client relations managers on client feedback to achieve results
- Prepares job estimates and scheduling; forwards jobs to operations
- Reviews upcoming weekly schedule at branch meeting with managers to ensure adequate labor, materials and equipment are available according to job estimates
- Reviews and monitors the financial results of all jobs in progress to ensure that active jobs are achieving the financial performance goals
- Continuously evaluates results and communicates those results to team members and supervisors
- Immediately communicates knowledge of contract cancellations to supervisors
- Represents Greenscape positively in green industry activities
- Inter-department coordination for branch objectives & goals (ie. Weedman, Irrigation)
- Reviews and approves all maintenance contracts prior to client presentations
- Prepare the annual operating budget for branch
- Participates in short- and long-range planning and owns assigned goals/rocks
- Ensures branch meets established financial objectives. Responsible for meeting (or exceeding) revenue, contribution margin and profit % based on branch budget.
- Oversees direct reports to assure that all materials (flowers, plants, fertilizers, chemicals, etc) and equipment are available in sufficient quantities to assure efficient operations
- Oversees direct reports to assure that all materials (flowers, plants, fertilizers, chemicals, etc) are available in sufficient quantities to assure efficient operations
- Reviews and approves payroll/job labor hours, materials and production records daily and submits them promptly to appropriate support staff for processing.
- Meet regularly with branch personnel to communicate objectives and goals, branch operating status, and client satisfaction
- Reviews monthly P/L and prepares year-end forecasts
- Reviews weekly report of Accounts Receivable and sets the course of action for accounts for over 50 days to VP of Operations
- Oversees the branch inventory is conducted in a timely and accurate manner as required by the Accounting Department
- Requests employee input to improve branch performance so that high-quality information flows in both directions
- Ensures the accurate and timely flow of administrative functions
- Proactively supports and enforces company policies and procedures
- Exemplifies the principles and core values adopted by Greenscape and regularly promotes a positive branch culture
- Facilitates consistent interaction with the team through regular communication/meetings
- Communicates regularly with the President via meetings, e-mail, and voicemail
- Facilitates a work environment that is safe, pleasant, and conducive to personal/professional growth of the branch team
- 2 or 4-year degree in Business or a related field of Horticulture of minimum of 5 years of industry experience, including a minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience
- Certified Landscape Technician or NC Contractors License or Certified Landscape Professional designation preferred
- NC Pesticide license
- General exposure and awareness of Spanish language and culture
- Valid NC Drivers License and driving record that meets insurance requirements.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hand to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk, and/or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb, and/or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
* The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skill, efforts or working conditions associated with a job.